Interested in fashion, textile history, design and art? Do you have a preference for working with textile materials and are looking for inspiration and instruction? Visit the library on the first floor of the Textile Museum. Here you can find a rich selection of books, catalogues and models devoted to the theme of textiles. Media in the open access area can be viewed during opening hours or borrowed upon presentation of a library ID card.
The splendid library hall which is preserved in historicist style is worth a visit, too. Hundreds of sample books, fashion sketches and photographs are kept in the display cabinets and cupboards. For conservational reasons these objects are not freely accessible. However, an impression of the beauty and variety of the Eastern Swiss machine embroidery is conveyed in selected sample books that are laid out for viewing in the Textile Library.
Wednesday – Friday 10am – 12pm and 1pm – 5pm
Saturday 10am – 12pm
1 January, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, 1 August, 1 November and on 24, 25, 26 and 31 December.
Holidays: The library will be closed from 15 July to 1 August 2023.
+41 71 228 00 14
Request for access to the historical collections
Conditions of use
- The media holdings of the Textile Library can be accessed via the online catalogue of the St. Gallen library network.
- Media whose location is indicated with ‘Freihandbereich’ (open access area) can be viewed in the Textile Library during opening hours and, if required, borrowed upon presentation of a valid library card.
- If a medium is out on loan, it can be ordered in advance via the online catalogue or from the librarian.
- Media which are labelled ‘Benutzung vor Ort’ (use on site) in the library catalogue can be viewed during the opening hours in the Textile Library, but not borrowed.
- Media which are kept in the library catalogue with the location ‘Magazin’ (storage) have to be ordered one day before pick-up or viewing.
- The annual fee for use of the Textile Library is 50 CHF. The application for the library card can be made in the Textile Library.
- Students up to 30 years of age with a valid ID can use the Textile Library free of charge, as can members of the Verein Textilmuseum.
- A one-off trial subscription for 10 CHF can be purchased which is valid for three months.
- Items may be borrowed for one month and can be prolonged up to a maximum of three months.
- If the item is not returned even after a reminder, late fees will be charged: 1st recall 5 CHF, 2nd recall 10 CHF, 3rd recall 15 CHF. The fees are charged per item.
Items that can be lent out may be sent by post or to another library within Switzerland. A fee of CHF 10.- is charged for this service.